Canadian Football League

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Canadian Football League MVP signs with KC

CFL quarterback signs with KC
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
Don’t expect newly signed Chiefs quarterback Casey Printers to challenge Trent Green for the starting spot next season.
But Printers, 24, could give the Chiefs — at long last — a competent developmental quarterback. Printers, who signed a three-year contract Wednesday, was the most outstanding player in the Canadian Football League in 2004 with British Columbia.
After his big 2004 season, Printers’ play slipped last season. But that didn’t concern the Chiefs, who outbid the Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts to sign him.
“They convinced me I could have a great future there,” Printers said. “They told me they would be patient with me and that they would try to bring me along.”
Printers’ timing in joining the Chiefs couldn’t be better. Green will be 36 when next season begins. Backup quarterbacks Todd Collins and Damon Huard are both over 30, and each was in the last year of his contract.
“This is a 24-year-old kid who was (most outstanding player) in the CFL,” said Printers’ agent, Jason Medlock. “They think of this kid as a Michael Vick-Vince Young-type of player. He’s got a good, accurate arm and knowledge of how to play the game.
“He’s a valuable guy to groom.”
That’s how Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson looked at it, too.
“We’ve had some good fortune with Canadian players,” Peterson said. “Joe Horn was a guy we had to draft to get out of Canada. Marc Boerigter …
“I look at it this way: It’s like having an additional draft choice. And this draft choice has pro football experience, albeit the CFL. It’s a bigger, wider field and so on. But I think he’s got a chance to come in and help us. He’s going to be a backup for us and learn what we do and what this offense is all about.”
Printers began his college career at Texas Christian, where he played with running back LaDainian Tomlinson. He finished it at Florida A&M.
“I feel I have the elusiveness of Donovan McNabb or Michael Vick,” Printers said. “I feel I could make plays with the best of them. I don’t know if that’s just me being overconfident, but I can bring some things to the table. I can run, I can throw and I can think.”
■ The Chiefs announced the signing of eight free agents. Most have gone to camp with the Chiefs at some point in the past.
Most notable is defensive lineman Eddie Freeman, their second-round draft pick in 2002. Freeman never developed into a reliable player and lasted only two seasons.
The others are quarterback James Kilian; tight ends Aaron Golliday and Willie Walden; defensive linemen Zach Ville, Arrion Dixon and Clint Mitchell; and cornerback Kevin Garrett.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<