Canadian Football League

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Eskimos falling in Canadian Football League west standings

Kahlil Hill helped jump-start the struggling Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Friday night as the newcomer sparked his teammates to an impressive 40-14 win over the Edmonton Eskimos.
Tiger Cats Kalil Hill celebrates his second quarter touchdown. His two touchdowns, including one on an 80-yard punt return, helped improve the woeful Ticats to 3-10 in front of 27,582 fans at Ivor Wynne Stadium. "Winning is contagious. Losing is contagious," said the 26-year-old, who was signed by the Ticats on Sept. 13.
After spending the summer with three different NFL teams, Hill was playing just his second CFL game - and first as a punt returner.
"Guys feed off each other's big plays and that's exactly what we did tonight," he said, giving credit to his blockers on the
momentum-building punt return in which he ran across the field and then down the sideline early in the second quarter.
Hill put the game out of reach two minutes into the fourth quarter when he caught an 18-yard TD pass from quarterback Danny McManus to make it 31-14.
Hamilton's Troy Davis also scored two touchdowns and Marcus Brady added one. McManus completed 13 of 23 passing attempts for 239 yards, one touchdown and one interception.
Hamilton kicker Jamie Boreham added a 38-yard field goal.
Quarterback Ricky Ray's one-yard keeper in the second quarter was the only major score for Edmonton (8-6). He completed 21 of 33 pass attempts for 217 yards and two interceptions.
Sean Fleming went 2-for-3 for Edmonton, hitting from 13 and 23
yards and missing from 33 yards out.
Hamilton head coach Greg Marshall said his team's ability to establish a running game was key to the win. They outrushed Edmonton 141 to 57 yards, led by Davis' 108 yards on 21 carries.
"We hung our hat on the running game and when you do that, you can get the run game going and you can always fall back on it," he said. "We were certainly able to utilize it. It was certainly very effective tonight."
Edmonton head coach Danny Maciocia had terse words for his team's effort, especially since they were coming off a big win over B.C. last week.
"There was no (pass) protection, no pass rush, we couldn't stop the run, special teams play was not good," he said. "There was nothing - absolutely nothing - that was positive about that football game."
A 32-yard pass from McManus to Kamau Peterson at the Edmonton 23-yard line setup Hill's second touchdown.
Davis' one-yard run with 5:33 left made it 38-14, thanks in part
to a Chris Martin interception off Ray. Adriano Belli tackled Ray in the end zone for a safety and the 40-14 score.
Edmonton had problems in the red zone from the get-go, failing to score a touchdown on first-goal from the 9 and first-10
from the 16. But they still took a 6-3 lead after the first quarter on the field goals from Fleming.
Hill lit up the field near the end of the quarter with a 38-yard punt return, but was apparently just getting warmed up. A little more
than one minute into the second, he caught a 44-yard Fleming punt on the Hamilton 30-yard line, ran across field and then turned it up for the 80-yard touchdown and a 10-6 Ticat lead


Post a Comment

<< Home