Canadian Football League

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Gades move into tie for first in Canadian Football League East

The Ottawa Renegades are known for being slow starters, but on Saturday they scored early and often and came away with a big win. Yo Murphy caught two touchdown passes from Kerry Joseph and Josh Ranek ran for 137 yards in the first half as the Renegades defeated the Calgary Stampeders 33-18 Saturday night at Frank Clair Stadium.
Ranek finished the game with 20 carries for 164 yards.
"That's one thing we wanted to focus on," said Ranek. "We didn't want to wait until the third or fourth quarter to our offence going. We did that in the first half."
Matt Kellett added a pair of field goals to the Renegades' 27-point outburst in the first half.
"It was big, big time," Renegades' head coach Joe Paopao said of the victory.
"There were different players making big plays out there, so it was a culmination of things. We also gave the defence something to defend."
The offence dried up in the second half with Ottawa managing just two more Kellett field goals. But the solid Renegades defence shut the Stampeders down, allowing only a four-yard touchdown run by Joffrey Reynolds.
"We made the plays in all three phases of the game and we tried to set the tempo early," said Joseph.
"We missed a lot of opportunities (in the second half). We've got to capitalize on some opportunities down in the green zone and not try to settle for field goals."
The win improved the Renegades' record to 2-2 while the Stampeders fell to 1-2.
"I think the score was flattering for the Calgary Stampeders," said Stamps' head coach Tom Higgins. "We got licked in almost every phase of this football game. There was one pretty good football team on the field, there wasn't two. We're going to have to regroup. We're not as good as we think we are."
The game was delayed 29 minutes as a thunderstorm rolled through the area. The weather couldn't be blamed for the small announced crowd of 16,303 as it was sunny until about 15 minutes before the scheduled kickoff.
The Renegades went into the second half holding a 27-11 advantage, but the score was a little flattering to Calgary who scored their first TD of the game with two seconds remaining in the first half. Henry Burris connected with Jeremaine Copeland on a nine-yard scoring play capping a drive that started with a 23-yard strike to Nikolas Lewis and 16-and 15-yard passes to Brett Ralph.
Less than a minute earlier Murphy hauled in his second TD pass of the night, this one a 10-yarder from Joseph, and after the Kellett convert, the Renegades had a 27-4 lead.
After Burke Dales kicked a 71-yard single to get the Stamps on the board, he hit an 11-yard field goal narrowing Ottawa's lead to 16 points.
The Renegades opened the second quarter with 10 straight points, with Murphy hauling in a Joseph pass for a 50-yard catch and run TD. At 5:44 of the quarter Kellett was successful on a 23-yard field goal attempt, after closing out the first quarter with a 29-yard field goal.
The defence opened the scoring when Robert Grant forced a Burris fumble and Kyries Hebert recovered and scampered 23 yards for the touchdown.


Post a Comment

<< Home