Canadian Football League

Thursday, May 19, 2005

The "Bucks" okay in The Canadian Football League

CRESCENT CITY -- Never underestimate perseverance.
Just three weeks ago, former Del Norte Warrior and New Mexico State Aggies quarterback Buck Pierce found himself sitting on his couch for two days and seven rounds of the 2005 NFL draft with his playing future hanging in the balance.
After being bypassed by 32 teams and not hearing his name called as one of 255 drafted players, Pierce was faced with the real possibility that his dreams of a professional career may very well have ended.
Not so fast.
The former Big Five and most recently Sun Belt Conference standout has agreed to a three-year contract with the British Columbia Lions of the Canadian Football League. The deal includes an option for Pierce to renegotiate with the Lions in its final year.
"I was looking for a deal that would provide me with security as well as some options," Pierce said. "I feel good about having signed."

Although his ultimate dream of playing on Sundays on the biggest stages in football, Pierce is by no means disappointed.
"Everyone wants the NFL and NFL money, but the CFL was something that had been in the back of my mind," he said. "Now I'm going to have an opportunity to see the world and play football. I'm just thankful that everything worked out the way it did for me."
Despite the fact that the pageantry and fanfare may not be as prevalent to the north as that of the NFL, the former Warrior and Aggie sees the glass as being half full.
"The dimensions of a playing field in Canada are different (65 yards wide and 110 yards long compared to 54 and 100 in the NFL), but I feel that fits my style of play well," Pierce said. "It's a throwing man's game in Canada, and I'm looking forward to the challenge."
Although happy with his ultimate decision to pursue a career north of the border, Pierce endured a rollercoaster of emotions along the way, particularly in going through a series of NFL rookie minicamps with various teams.
"It was a little disheartening knowing that even though teams liked what they saw as far as my ability, it still came down to a numbers game," Pierce said. "I'm a person who puts everything into whatever it is that I am doing on or off a football field though, so now I just have to jump in with both feet and show what I can do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


<